Hey there, wanna hear a secret

A Rant

Postby BeerCur on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 pm

I like to rant a bit :rant: Something I wrote on slashdot

Pollution is bad + wastefulness is bad + simple scientific models prove greenhouse effects + Earth getting warmer recently => Lets jump on board the global warming / carbon doom train so we can change some attitudes.

However weather, which includes temperature, is a known chaotic system and simple models are not adequate. The weather man can't even get the weather right for tomorrow, so the likelihood of the current, carbon is reason we have global warming, models being accurate predictors 30 years from now is unlikely. The making of absolute assertions we will melt the polar ice caps, polar bears will die, and our land will become inhospitable,... etc is bad science. Especially since these models do not include two of the bigger natural affects... sunspots and volcanoes.

I much rather the talking points not dumb the material to absolutes or fear mongering. Instead maybe something like... it seems likely increased / continued carbon emissions rates will have a net positive increase of the global mean temperatures, that predictively, if great enough, will result climate change affecting all aspects of humanity. By reducing our carbon footprint we not only reduce a likely factor in global warming, but in the process reduce other pollutants associated with burning hydrocarbon that enter our water and air (don't want to be Beijing do yah), and decrease our dependence on it as a fuel (so our desire to be in Baghdad will be a true reflection of our desire to bring democracy to the area (aka we're out of here)).

But then again... I could be wrong
The Dog of Beers
BeerCur
Site Admin

Return to Announcement

• VISITORS